The desync bug

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The desync bug

Post  Zergling_man on Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:43 am

Now, basically everyone here already knows of this one, but I for one don't actually know much about it.

So, first off, what do the developers know about the desyncs, and how much is it WCIII's fault v FFERPG's fault?

If they're as stumped as the rest of us, then this thread can turn into an info-dump of cases, to hopefully shed some light on the subject.
Zergling_man

Back to top Go down

Re: The desync bug

Post  psxlover on Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:50 pm

Desyncs happen when a client has different data than the others connected in server. When the server detects that a desync it disconnects the client.

Desyncs can happen because of a bad script for example if it's showing something to only one user, like giving him an item but the other clients aren't informed about that, or from a taxing script where an old pc takes to much time to execute it while a new one has finished and is doing something else.

If you find out that doing something (like using a skill, talking to an npc, fighting a certain boss etc.) causes desyncs most of the time then just report it.
psxlover

Back to top Go down

Post  Seegtease on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:36 pm

It happened once when I was crossing the bridge on the central island. I don't know what other players were doing.

It's happened a few times very early on, while taking quests or still in town.

One time, I had a desync occur and 2 players were in one game, and 3 players were in another. Often times, when a desync occurs in a game with 4 or more players, more than one player gets desynced. Problem is, I never know which player caused it.

Seegtease

Back to top Go down

Post  Zergling_man on Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:39 am

I'm wanting to get some testing on this done, but while I'm looking for players, I have a quick question: Do all the players use the same code for all their triggers? IE is there any possibility of encountering a bug when playing as one colour, but not as another.
Zergling_man

Back to top Go down

Post  psxlover on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:51 pm

Yes they all use the same code, but there could be bugs like the xp bug that happens when there isn't someone playing as red (this isn't exactly the cause of the bug)
psxlover

Back to top Go down

Post  Zergling_man on Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:10 am

XP bug? Is that the one with the leaderboard messing up?

I'll add who plays what colours to my reports anyway. (And I'm aiming to provide replays of desync'd games, or of long games that I'm convinced should have but didn't.) It will probably come down to "do you have red?" which would make testing relatively easy. I'm just hoping I don't have to run the same simulations with lots of different slots in use. That'd just become tedious really quickly.
Zergling_man

Back to top Go down

Post  Zergling_man on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:27 pm

Well, well. I just played a 4-man 5-hour game. We had people leaving from about 4:15 until the end, but nobody dropped. I have the replay saved, but there isn't anything interesting in there, except for ideas I randomly had while playing that are scattered throughout. (Such as -levels teal or -levels 3 etc.)

So.... A bit of other info, we had one player at 1980 from the beginning, the rest of us started anew. Red through to purple were used, we completed every quest except Eden, though we did spawn him right near the end. (After one had left already, and he also spawned at about 75%, even though we were four and a half hours in by that part.)
Zergling_man

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum