Finding Odin! (Remade!)

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Finding Odin! (Remade!)

Post  Zergling_man on Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:21 pm

Alright. Source: http://web.archive.org/web/20110208052605/http://pollama.com/showthread.php?tid=9098

We have this many times damned note:

Wuyanenwe Endutere Tebrimide Artesumamon
Isushigiwe Shanesukarure Doteorupuro
Omunusetin Werunayuru Temedumu Randusu

It's known to drop from Eden. We know that we don't actually need to unravel the note's mystery to complete the quest, but doing so will lead us straight to the solution.
On the topic of decoding it, someone check FFXIII. I noticed something earlier today that indicated I should go that way, while trying to dig this thread up via Google. So, if anyone's played it, start wracking your brains, we have a challenge for you.

Something interesting:
Flameseeker wrote:Even though i never killed Eden, i play mostly solo, i think i got some ideas about Odin.
There's a place with a "god like scent" in the snowy mountains, that greener part with a tree, that to me would be the best spawn point for him. He's a Norse god so a heavenly place in the middle of the snowy environment fits.
Since we're checking for "!", I found a guy hidden in the barrens corner mentioning some guy with spiky hair and a huge sword. Never noticed anyone with that trait, it only reminds me of claud of the entrance screen, so it could be a lead or a trigger to something.
The comment about the guy in the Barrens - I haven't found him yet, let's find him and see what we can work out in regards to where he fits into everything.
As for the Snowy Mountains, does anyone know anything about that tree? Also worth a look.

Ok, I'm going to stop here; you guys can keep looking through the thread, and restart the discussion. Of course I'll be back in here later. ^_^
Zergling_man

Back to top Go down

Re: Finding Odin! (Remade!)

Post  Darkmega on Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:27 pm

well for starters I tried knocking the tree down. nothing. I tried naisha putting an owl on it. nothing. as for the guy in the barrens he's right in the corner at a little hill basically completely opposite in the same area to the smithy guy. and the spikey haired guy I'm guessing would be cloud strife from FF7... but he's no-where in the map as far as I can tell...
Darkmega

Back to top Go down

Post  Zergling_man on Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:35 pm

As Flameseeker said, Cloud's on the loading screen. But that changes with version, and this quest has been here for an unknown amount of time, and shall continue to be - for certain, some parts of it were just little oddities in the really early versions. That was mentioned somewhere in the thread, I think.

The tree: Well, I don't think the tree itself will do anything, I guess my question there was more related to "is there anything happening there that we know of? If so, it's less likely to be part of the Odin quest".

As for the guy... Hmm... So, South East, or South West? I'll go see what he has to say for myself sometime.

WAIT! Has anyone looked at statue doodads? It's a long-shot, but it could be the key. I think there's some of those in the map, we should look around and see if any of them have spikey hair.
Zergling_man

Back to top Go down

Post  Darkmega on Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:45 pm

do you need to beat up eden before you can figure out odin stuff or can you do it whenever? I never did try looking at the tree with something that can see invisible units. Very Happy and that statue idea is a good one actually. :O

and well, I dunno the bearing but if you went straight upwards at the smithy guy (he's pretty close to the map bounds to the left side) just go straight down from him and reno (thats the name that pops up with the message I think, who is coincidentally one of the characters from FF7) should be right there next to the map bounds or close to it I think. if not, check that entire rock boundary there should be a path there.
Darkmega

Back to top Go down

Post  Zergling_man on Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:12 pm

Eden drops the note, the item required to progress/start the quest. I don't think it does anything else important, apart from giving us the message written in an obscure FF language. We already have that though, so it isn't necessary to try and progress that part of it.

Ok, I'll check for him. Though I doubt I'll find anything immediately - his reference to a spikey-haired guy with a big sword almost certainly refers to Cloud, considering he's also FF7.

Also, something I just noticed about the note:
cfjlqvxz
These letters do not appear in the message. All the rest do. (Yes, I know I'm effectively trying to brute-force this. But there's a chance it'll succeed, and it's a better use of my time than going through the games looking for the language.)
Zergling_man

Back to top Go down

Post  Flameseeker on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:55 pm

About my comment on that tree in the snowy mountains, I've been told on the old forum that's useless at the moment. Maybe on the future quests in the new version it will see some use.

The NPC on the barrens is in the bottom right corner if i'm not mistaken, near the edge that separates from the centaur boss i think.

Didn't knew Eden dropped the note, only had the patience to solo him twice or so, but the dialog from that guy that tells you about the world in the beginning (near the sick kid quest, forgot his name) was pretty interesting.

On the note itself never got around it so far (too much work at the moment). But so far me and a friend thought of anagrams, FF languages, but no luck. Also we never played the last few FF games so i we're out of ideas.
We suggested if there was a puzzle on any of the games that was solved by letter/number swapping. It could have a similar way of solving.

Flameseeker

Back to top Go down

Post  Darkmega on Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:18 am

you know. we're gonna get trolled by the Devs so hard if it turns out to be something really simple....
Darkmega

Back to top Go down

Post  Flameseeker on Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:48 am

Well it took 3 days for one of the devs to find out (can't remember who) and even they think of odin as 101% game completed, so i really don't think they'll laugh much at us.
But my bet is that they're enjoying our posts though, but it's just a matter of time till one of us gets a crazy idea and finds out (i hope so at least).

I may be wrong but the only hint we were given is that the solution is somewhere on FF games, which led us to al bhed but of course it wouldn't be that simple as a substitution cypher.

Flameseeker

Back to top Go down

Post  psxlover on Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:11 am

Since I've never beaten Eden, I didn't have an opportunity to search for Odin, but having seen the explanation of the message, it's definitely not "simple". But like some people mentioned in the pollama thread obtaining and understanding the message is not necessary to find Odin, so you could gather a few ideas, beat Eden and try to find Odin.
psxlover

Back to top Go down

Post  Flameseeker on Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:15 am

But that would take the fun out of the hunt, although random luck might win on this one.

Flameseeker

Back to top Go down

Post  psxlover on Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:15 am

Then start searching for languages in FFs.
psxlover

Back to top Go down

Post  Zergling_man on Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:20 am

Frakir, the info guy - is there anything in there that could be related? I remember checking it myself, because it was probable, but came up blank. I'll possibly be putting a transcription of his text down at some point.

From memory, on the old forum, it was said that a) the note is written in an obscure language from a FF game and b) there is also a very similar puzzle in a FF game.

I think it was Rekium that was the dev who took 3 days searching for it. Pffe coded it I *think*, Kaf has had the note in his sig for ages on the old forum, teasing us in that thread. Psx, did you get the solution out of the files?

Now, about the note: I haven't played anything of Final Fantasy. (2 hours of FFVII is not enough to count.)
But my plan is to just get that note decoded without knowing the language. It still uses English lettering, so it's surely possible.
I did look up FF languages a while ago, when I first joined the hunt, and didn't turn up anything really useful. I won't be trying again, but anyone else is welcome to - having more knowledge of the games would probably help you a bit too.

Also, I just explained most of this hunt to my brother last night, and he went and looked up Slepnir. Apparently he had 8 legs. So now he's thinking about whether any spiders in FFERPG are related. My response: Perhaps it's a mob we should kill a lot (more than usual).
Zergling_man

Back to top Go down

Post  Darkmega on Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:47 pm

I've never ever even seen Eden so I'm basically gonna say "Balls to it" until I can get a good enough character to actually even see it. but that also has "balls to it" as the solution cause I've gone and lost my save codes... unless... *goes to check my documents and screenshots folder in WC3 directory*

EDIT: found em just... I never labeled them so I dunno which are the best... @_@
Darkmega

Back to top Go down

Post  psxlover on Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:23 pm

Sleipnir has 8 legs? Maybe in Norse mythology but not in FFs.
Also the translation of the note wasn't in the files but in the old forum, and I think it was Karifean who made the quest and not Pfeffer but I'm not sure.
psxlover

Back to top Go down

Post  Zergling_man on Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:11 pm

Darkmega, hitting levelcap isn't too hard. Razz
I'm probably going to start a second save for rolling with you guys, until I get bored anyway. Or until it matches up with my other save.

Right.. So the 8 legs thing is a red herring.

Huh? Someone had translated the note on the last forum? I don't remember that occurring... And what's this about it not being in the files?

Ah, so it was probably Kaf. My bad.
Zergling_man

Back to top Go down

Post  Flameseeker on Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:16 pm

I think someone did but it was quickly taken down so it wouldn't spoil to the rest of us.
And there was also someone that lucked out and got to him without needing the note.

Flameseeker

Back to top Go down

Post  Zergling_man on Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:19 pm

Ah. That's why I don't remember it then.

Yeah, Lucasil. He was the leader of the hunt basically, then he stumbled onto the solution and we got left in his dust. :/
And, I think he needed the note, he just didn't need the translation.
Zergling_man

Back to top Go down

Post  Flameseeker on Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:38 pm

Flameseeker wrote:And there was also someone that lucked out and got to him without needing the note.

Wrong choice of words. He had the note but made it without the translation.

Flameseeker

Back to top Go down

Post  Zergling_man on Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:41 pm

Fair enough.

So anyway... If someone else translates it, no point putting it here? I'll probably post any breakthroughs I make either way though.
Zergling_man

Back to top Go down

Post  Flameseeker on Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:06 pm

Going back to my report but just leaving something that made me think.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Language

Nothing new about this page that's my guess, but there's a few languages that might give an hint.
-al bhed
-Ivalician Script
-Cocoon/Gran Pulse alphabet
-Etro Script
-germonique scripture

Well we already know that al bhed doesn't work and Germonique Scriptures took the whole life of Elder Simon to decrypt, so that's not the way either.
Gran/Cocoon to me are more symbols that letters (can't explain better) so i would dismiss them at the moment.
Etro although has direct references to Odin i can't make up how exactly it should be used to translate the note.
Which leaves Ivalician but i can't make up anything either, though it lacks some letters like Zerglin_man noticed.

Flameseeker

Back to top Go down

Post  Zergling_man on Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:22 pm

Is Al Bhed the only cipher in that lot? (I'll have a look through myself later, unless someone else answers.)
Zergling_man

Back to top Go down

Post  Karifean on Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:43 pm

Oh yeah, I remember this quest.
First of all, since someone asked, it was put in in version 0.9.2 by me, it was not present in previous versions.
Secondly, the note does not, did not and never will drop from Eden. Killing Eden is however a requirement for it to drop.
Thirdly, there is exactly one line of dialogue in the entire map that gives a hint on the note. No NPC that talks in a cutscene will be of any help.
And finally, none of the languages listed above will be of use for decrypting the note. It is deciphered the same way as something else in the FF series, however, and I hadn't played FFXIII yet when I made this quest. The only thing posted that is a far-fetched hint is that a certain letter does not appear in the text.

There. That's all the hints I will give. Good luck, looking forward to seeing the solution posted in this thread someday. Smile

Last edited by Karifean on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Karifean

Back to top Go down

Post  Flameseeker on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:02 am

Good hints though i really don't know what to do with them.
I think i listed most of the FF languages back there so it's not a language but more of puzzle in a game earlier than FFXIII.
Never noticed till now the missing letters but it seems they're important somehow.
c f j l q v x z ->can't make anything out of them at the moment

On a future playthrough i guess i'll make a list of dialogs from NPC's, though it might be a bit hard since it appears that some of them have some kind of triggers.Only remember:
-some talking about chocobos
-the rock for a quest
-the greens
-sleipnir
-link quest helpers
-the one that mentions cloud

There are some like the captain that thanks for hydra (after it hatches) or the minotaur mentioning his friends, but my guess is that the NPC's directly related to quests don't have any relationship with the letter.

Flameseeker

Back to top Go down

Post  Zergling_man on Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:08 am

Ah, so Kaf did write it.

So... Where does the note drop from? I was always under the impression Eden dropped it...

I'm guessing the exactly one line will be the guy in the Northern Mountains, talking about Slepnir (whatever spelling it is).
Perhaps we have to stand in front of him with the note or something. There was a theory about having to say something in chat in the right spot, I'm assuming that isn't so, considering Lucasil got it without knowing what to do.

Hmm... If the quest wasn't present before 0.9.2, let's try and drag up the previous version and look for differences?
EpicWar should have some of the older versions, if they're not hosted here. (Or no-one has them archived.)

:O
Final Fantasy games are indexed not by number, but by letter! My guess is FFV. Anyone an expert/willing to put some time in to that particular game?
My next guess is FFX, but it's less likely.
Zergling_man

Back to top Go down

Post  Flameseeker on Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:57 am

I played most of the early games a few years ago. FF I-V to be precise.
Can't remember well but i don't think that there was any puzzle useful to apply here. Most of this games we're so early that didn't have this kind of complicated puzzles. Just run through dungeon and kill the boss kind of stuff. Might be wrong since i played so much old stuff in the meantime...

Didn't like the theme of Espers in FFVI so i stopped there.
A friend played VII-VIII also a few years ago and he didn't remember anything useful.

What i played the most was the tactics advance and i i'm 99% sure that there's no single hint there.
Didn't play much of grimoir of the rift but i bet the answer isn't there either.
Only played War of the Lions once, and it was the old PSx version. Don't remember anything, but i might replay after i get done with a few other projects that occupy my free time at the moment.

That's the most i could remember, the only thing i still remember clearly are the god dam malboro that inflict so many conditions that end to be harder to kill the the final boss...

Edit:
Adding just that i find it highly unlikely to have anything trigger by chat.

Flameseeker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top