PLEASE, fix desyncs before anything else

View previous topic View next topic Go down

PLEASE, fix desyncs before anything else

Post  Seegtease on Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:07 pm

This map is fun but it largely goes to waste because a lot of the content basically requires more players to complete it... but playing with other players is impossible since 90% of the time, it desyncs into seperate games.

I don't care about new features until this is fixed. It's basically a useless map unless you play solo but you can only do so much solo.

Just focus on making the map actually WORK in multiplayer, release that version, THEN worry about coding new features. I just want to be able to play it with friends, the way it's meant to work. Please Smile

Seegtease

Back to top Go down

Re: PLEASE, fix desyncs before anything else

Post  Zergling_man on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:26 am

Please see: http://fferpg.just-forum.net/t28-the-desync-bug

Now, in a situation like this, where it's a few people, working on an engine that they didn't write, a bug like this can elude everyone for an incredibly long time.
Example:See the TNTs piercing nanites in SWAT: Aftermath - a bug that escapes redscull's expert eye to this day, and we've all learnt to live with it. Best "it's not a bug it's a feature" ever.

So, if I were a dev, I would focus on learning about it as much as I could. But that task would be a very short one and would probably end with "give us test data" as it did here.
So in lieu of being able to further track down and eliminate this bug, may as well do other productive things. In this case, they're focusing on some major features.
Zergling_man

Back to top Go down

Post  Seegtease on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:23 am

I get it. And I wish I could provide details, but the desyncs seem to be very random.

It's just that it's massive. This isn't some minor irritation bug - it completely prevents the game from being multiplayer. If World of Warcraft suddenly had a problem and players couldn't play together, only solo, I doubt anybody would really care about new features.

Problem is, no one wants to play it with me since it desyncs every single time. Most don't want to bug test, especially since they don't even know if doing so will help the developers actually fix the problem.

Seegtease

Back to top Go down

Post  Zergling_man on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:29 am

We're in the same boat then. :/ We should really start trying to gather together, those of us with the dedication to try and find this bug.

Strange thing, I've had 5 hour+ multiplayer games on this version, the desync has been very rare for me.

About WoW: Good point. That's putting the issue into perspective for me, thanks.

Hmm... Random thing, which should really go in the other thread, I think we narrowed down most of our splits to the host (me) alt-tabbing a lot.
Zergling_man

Back to top Go down

Post  Flameseeker on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:49 pm

I mostly play alone now because of the desync bug of previous versions (it seemed worse before).
In this version i had lots of 2 players games with long hours and no problem so far. Never had the chance on the last few playthroughs to play with more friends, they won't play again till new features gets added Sad

What i did find on the earlier versions is that too much "stress" on the game would almost always cause a desynch. I had lots of 5min games because when we were upgrading the armor/damage and swapping professions for ultimate masters the game would break and eventually split.
Now with the long save (didn't have any problem with that either) my guess is that the "stress" lowered and never had problems again.

Flameseeker

Back to top Go down

Post  Seegtease on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:40 pm

Zergling_man wrote:We're in the same boat then. :/ We should really start trying to gather together, those of us with the dedication to try and find this bug.

Strange thing, I've had 5 hour+ multiplayer games on this version, the desync has been very rare for me.

About WoW: Good point. That's putting the issue into perspective for me, thanks.

Hmm... Random thing, which should really go in the other thread, I think we narrowed down most of our splits to the host (me) alt-tabbing a lot.

I posted a little bit on it in that thread.

I think it might be dependent on the power of the computers in the game. Something might be pushing things to the limit (which may be able to be fixed or throttled to not overload), but if most players have powerful computers, they can all keep up.

My best guess is something happens in the game that takes a lot of power to process, and the speed isn't throttled, so weaker computers get left behind, causing a desync. Perhaps finding a way to limit the speed at which some things are processed could help make sure no one gets left behind, causing a desync. Just a theory.

Seegtease

Back to top Go down

Post  Zergling_man on Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:41 am

A good theory. It makes sense all through, now if we can find some evidence to support it...
There are two processes that SWAT always goes through to make it a lot easier to run, vexing and widgetising. I cannot remember what both of them are, but perhaps they'd be worth looking into.
Zergling_man

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum